Dachshund puppies are adorable, but they can be a lot of work. They need to be house-trained, taught not to bark excessively, and trained in basic obedience commands. In addition, they need to be socialized with other people and animals so that they will grow up to be well-adjusted dogs.
One way to help with all of this training is to use treats as rewards. The best training treats for Dachshund puppies are small, tasty, and easy to eat.
In this article, we will discuss some of the best treats to use for training your Dachshund puppy.
How Do You Train Your Dachshund Puppy?
When it comes to training your Dachshund puppy positive reinforcement is always the best method. This means using rewards like treats, praises, and petting to let your puppy know that he is doing something right.
You should never use physical punishment when disciplining your puppy as this can lead to him becoming fearful or aggressive. Instead, focus on rewarding good behavior and ignoring bad behavior.
Use Straightforward Instructions
Dachshunds are intelligent dogs, but they can be stubborn. This means that you need to use clear and concise instructions when training them. For example, if you want your puppy to sit, say “sit” in a firm voice and then give him a treat when he complies.
Don’t Use Food As A Bribe
You should never use food as a bribe when training your puppy. This means that you should not hold a treat in front of his nose and then try to get him to do something.
Not only is this ineffective, but it can also make your puppy less likely to respond to treats as a reward.
Only Give Treats For Good Behavior
You should only give your puppy treats when he is exhibiting good behavior. This means that you shouldn’t give out treats without a good reason!
Instead, save the treats for when he does something you’ve asked. That way, he’ll start to associate the treat with good behavior and be more likely to repeat it.
Give Small Treats
When giving treats to your puppy, it is important to give him small ones. This is because puppies have small stomachs and can easily become sick if they eat too much at one time. In addition, small treats are easier for puppies to eat and are less likely to cause an upset stomach.
What Are Good Treats For Dachshund Puppies?
When it comes to picking a treat for your dachshund puppy, you want to choose something that is small, tasty, and easy to eat. Puppies have small mouths and teeth, so it is important to find a treat that they can easily chew and digest.
When choosing a treat for your puppy, make sure to avoid anything that is high in sugar or salt as this can be bad for their health. In addition, avoid giving your puppy table scraps as these are often not nutritionally balanced for puppies.
What Treats Are Best For Puppy Training?
Now that we’ve gone over some tips for using treats while training your dachshund puppy, let’s take a look at some of the best treats to use.
Wellness Puppy Bites
- MINI CHEWY PUPPY TREATS: These delicious, grain free soft treats are made with 2 kinds of fresh meat plus added vitamins specially for puppies and a natural source of DHA to promote healthy brain development
- ALL NATURAL: These moist and tasty treats are made with whole fruits and veggies including superfoods like blueberries and sweet potatoes for a naturally craveable flavor and a boost of antioxidants
- THOUGHTFULLY MADE: We craft delicious treats with simple, natural, high quality ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits; no meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- FIND THE RIGHT TREATS: From puppy to senior, small dog to large breed, crunchy to chewy, grained to grain free, treating to training, we've got an all natural recipe for every dog's needs and taste
- TRAINING AND REWARDING: These bite sized soft treats are the perfect rewards during training sessions or any time you want to thank your dog for good behavior
The Wellness Puppy Bites is one of the best training treats for Dachshund puppies because of its versatility. Many owners love the fact that this snack is inexpensive and readily available. Not only that, but the flavor of the treats has been approved.
One of the best things about this product is that the treats are soft to chew on. This is why Dachshunds can go at any length to get their hands on flavorful treats. The key ingredients of this product are lamb and salmon. Both of these are rich in protein, DHA, and other nutrients.
- Age range description: Puppy
The Crumps Naturals training treats are made up of one single ingredient that complements a raw diet. What’s so great about this product is that the primary component is beef liver. This item is packed with nutrients and offers you a safe experience.
Another top thing about this product is that it is low in calories and helps you control your puppy’s weight. So you never have to worry about your Dachshund gaining additional pounds. This product is also available in chicken and salmon flavors.
- Made with natural peanut butter
- Free of corn, soy, artificial flavors and colors
- Oven baked in the USA
- Highly palatable and perfect, soft texture
- Minimally Processed using only simple ingredients
Are you looking for training treats for Dachshund puppies made by a reputable brand? If so, the Buddy Biscuits should be your top choice. This snack has been in the being since the 1960s. That is why you can rely on the treats to be effective.
The top thing about this brand’s treats is that they come in an extensive range of flavors. You can feed your puppy chicken treats for a more flavorful experience. Besides that, this product is rich in protein and will fulfill your daily nutrient requirement.
Zuke’s Mini Naturals Pumpkin Treats
- One (1) 5 oz Bag - Zuke's Mini Naturals Pumpkins Dog Training Treats Turkey and Pumpkin Recipe, Soft Dog Treats
- Wholesome, tender natural dog treats in a fun pumpkin shape for all your adventures in training this holiday season
- At less than 3 calories per dog training treat, Zuke's Mini Naturals soft dog treats are perfect guilt free rewards for your dog
- Real turkey is the first ingredient in these soft and chewy dog treats for small dogs, medium dogs and large dogs
- Healthy dog treats made with natural ingredients like real turkey and pumpkin that come in a resealable pouch
The Zuke’s Mini Naturals Pumpkin Treats are for all puppies who prefer a fruity taste. This product comes in two different flavors, but one of the ingredients is common to both. You can enjoy the turkey and cranberry combination for your dog.
However, if your pet does not like cranberry taste, worry no more. You can feed your puppy the turkey and pumpkin combination. Each treat also contains less than three calories. So you can ensure that the snack will not cause your puppy to become overweight.
- ALL-NATURAL, SINGLE INGREDIENT DOG TREATS: A simple, healthy dog treat made with sweet potatoes & that’s it. These treats are minimally processed, so they vary in size, shape, and firmness.
- MADE IN THE USA: Grown on family farms in North Carolina, these tasty treats are part of a sustainability initiative to source & make treats out of aesthetically imperfect sweet potatoes in the USA.
- ALL NATURAL & GRAIN-Free: These 100% natural, vegan, gluten-free, and grain-free treats have no artificial ingredients, fillers, or artificial preservatives, making them a great choice for pups with food allergies or sensitive bellies.
- DELICIOUS & NUTRITIOUS: Sweet potatoes with skins are a natural source of fiber and vegetable based nutrients, making these natural dog treats as healthy as they are tasty.
- MULTIPLE TASTY TREAT FLAVORS: Wholesome Pride dog treats come in a variety of nutritious options to support your dog's health and wellbeing. Choose from one or more of these limited ingredient treats as a gift that's sure to please
The final best training treat for Dachshund puppies is the Wholesome Pride. It is mainly made from sweet potatoes, which is one of the ingredients that members of this breed love. So you can easily discipline your puppy with this treat.
Another key feature of this product is that it comes in various flavors. You can opt for beef, chicken, or salmon for your Dachshund puppy. Apart from that, the treats also come with apple and banana flavors. You can also purchase the packet in different styles.
Can I make my own Training Treats for Dogs?
Yes, you can make your own training treats for dogs. There are many recipes available online, or you can find a natural ingredient that your puppy loves such as chicken.
Just make sure the ingredients are of high quality and as natural as possible. They should be small for your puppy to eat quickly and full of healthy nutrition to help your puppy grow!
It’s difficult to train your Dachshund puppy, but using the appropriate snacks makes it a lot easier. Pick something tiny, delicious, and simple to eat.
It’s also crucial to assess the nutritional value of what you’re buying to ensure that your dog gets all that he or she needs. The Wellness Puppy Bites is an excellent option that we highly recommend.