Dachshunds can be very stubborn breeds. And if yours is anything like ours then reminding them to drink can be a challenge. But don’t worry, there are ways to increase their water consumption and in this blog, we will go over ways to do it and why it’s important to stay on top of it too!
- 1 Why is it important to keep an eye on your dachshund’s drinking habits?
- 2 What are the health risks if your Dachshund doesn’t get enough water in their diet?
- 3 Easy ways to increase your Dachunds water consumption.
- 4 What if my Dachshund doesn’t like drinking water at all?
- 5 Wrapping Things Up
Why is it important to keep an eye on your dachshund’s drinking habits?
Dachshunds are a very active breed of dog, and as such, they need a lot of water to stay hydrated. Making sure they get enough water can help to prevent them from becoming dehydrated, which in turn can lead to a number of health problems. Water is vital for a dachshund’s overall health and well-being, so it is important to make sure they are getting enough of it.
What are the health risks if your Dachshund doesn’t get enough water in their diet?
If your Dachshund doesn’t drink enough water, they can become dehydrated and develop health problems such as:
- Dehydration can lead to decreased energy levels, poor vision, seizures, and even death.
- A lack of water can also cause the skin on your Dachshund’s body to become dry and cracked, their hair to fall out in clumps, and their nails to grow brittle and yellow.
- Dehydration can also interfere with the absorption of nutrients from food which can lead to nutritional deficiencies.
- Another health risk is bladder stones. If your Dachshund doesn’t drink enough water, they can develop bladder stones which can be very difficult to treat and may even require surgery.
Easy ways to increase your Dachunds water consumption.
Unfortunately, for us, our dachshund (Scooby) developed bladder stones recently. And, although this wasn’t due to lack of hydration we do believe this played a part in this. We’re now very strict on making sure he gets enough water in his diet and here are some of the easiest ways to do this:
Make sure they have plenty of fresh water available at all times
This is probably the most important way to increase your dachshund’s drinking habits! Providing them with plenty of fresh water even if you’re walking multiple times a day it’s worth it in the long run.
Cup is best?
Don’t ask me why but Scooby loves his water in a cup! We’ve tried various other ways to get him to drink more but nothing seems to work as well as giving him his own little cup. He loves it and so do we, which is one less thing we have to worry about!
Have water in multiple locations
If your Dachshund is like ours he seems to follow us around wherever we go. So, having water available in multiple places around the house is a great way to make sure they always have access to it.
Use quality food
Scooby has a mix of fresh and dry food so making sure his food is high in water content will help to keep him hydrated.
We use Butternut Box if you’re here in the UK – their food is very high quality with fresh ingredients and then top it off with some dry kibble.
Water down their food
Another really easy way to increase your dachshund’s water consumption is to water down their food.
This isn’t always possible but if you can do it then it’s a great way to help them drink more.
Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water available too,
Make sure they’re getting enough exercise
A lot of times when a dog doesn’t drink enough water it’s because they’re not getting the exercise they need. If you can get your Dachshund out for a walk every day then that would be great!
What if my Dachshund doesn’t like drinking water at all?
Now, this is a fairly rare but not unheard of occurrence. Some dachshunds just don’t like drinking water and there’s not really anything we can do about it. If this is the case then you’ll need to trick them into it!
As we mentioned earlier one of the easiest ways to start out is by adding water into their food. Dachshunds love food so if you can sneak a little water into their food they’ll start to drink more.
If that doesn’t work then you could try and dilute goats’ milk with water. You can then gradually add more water and less goats milk over time until they’re only drinking the water.
Another thing you can try is a doggy fountain. For some reason running water is really appealing to dachshunds and if you have one in your home then they’ll be more likely to drink from it.
- Large Capacity: The 170oz/1.3gallon/5L dog water fountain is designed for dogs, cats, and other small animals, no need to refill frequently. A wider water bowl and the standing area also ensure that multiple small birds can drink and bathe safely. Please noted: fountain model DF10-01 doesn't come with a wall plug. It is recommended to use a 5V, 1A adapter or power bank to operate it.
- BPA-free Material: This dog fountain is made of high-quality durable BPA-free material. It's easy to install and clean. Visible water level window reminds you to add water in time. Keep water fresh all the time for your pets. It is not only safe for animal drinking but also provides water for your pet in case of power outages with a 500ml water storage capacity.
- 3 Drinking Modes: Your pets have a choice of drinking from fountain lid, upper fountain area, or the waterfall stream. 3 modes could meet different pet's drinking habits and suitable for multi-pets households. The continually flowing water brings more oxygen and attract your pets to drink more water.
- Triple-filtration System: 3 layers filter: Sponge could catch cats hair and debris, the ion exchange resin layer could soften the tap water, the third activated carbon layer could remove bad taste and odor that provides fresh and clean water to pets. Search B09WHFQRTF for more replacement filters.
- Ultra Quiet & Energy Saving Pump: This automatic cat water fountain is equipped with an ultra-quiet, low-consumption pump. Lower than 30dB keep your pets healthy and hydrated without the nuisance of annoying noise. This fountain model DF10-01 is not coming with an adapter.
Last update on January 6, 2023 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Wrapping Things Up
Dachshunds need a lot of water to stay hydrated, and making sure they get enough can help prevent health problems such as dehydration, bladder stones, and nutritional deficiencies.
There are many easy ways to increase your Dachshund’s water consumption, including providing them with plenty of fresh water, using quality food that is high in water content, watering down their food, and giving them exercise. If your Dachshund does ‘t seem to be getting enough water and you’re still worried it’s best to call your veterinarian.