Do you have a dog? If so, have you ever shaken a can of coins and made a noise to get your dog’s attention? Many people do this because the noise gets a response from their dog. But is this a good thing to do, or does the sound of coins startle their dogs and make the experience negative?
Let’s explore the pros and cons of shaking a can with coins to get your dog’s attention.
What is the purpose of shaking a can with coins to get your dog’s attention?
If your dog is not responding to your voice or is distracted by something else, you may need to get their attention quickly. Shaking a can with coins is one way to do this. The noise will usually cause your dog to look at you and listen for further instructions.
This can be helpful if you’re trying to train your dog or get them to come inside from the backyard. It can also be a way to get their attention if they’re in danger and you need to get them to safety quickly.
However, as this sound is particularly loud and abrupt, it can also startle your dog and cause them to feel scared or anxious. If this is the case, the noise will likely negatively affect your dog, and they may become hesitant or afraid of cans with coins in them.
Is it effective in getting your dog’s attention?
There is no doubt that shaking a can with coins is an effective way to get your dog’s attention. The noise is loud and will usually cause your dog to look at you.
You need to bear in mind that dogs’ hearing is much more sensitive than ours. For this reason, the sound of coins shaking in a can is much louder to them and can be quite startling. So make sure this method is only used in open spaces and far away from your dog.
If you’re close to your dog when you make the noise, this could actually damage their hearing.
What are the potential negative consequences of doing this?
There are potential negative consequences of shaking a can with coins to get your dog’s attention. The noise is loud and can be quite startling to your dog, which may cause them to feel scared or anxious.
If this is the case, the noise will likely negatively affect your dog, and they may become hesitant and will more than likely do the opposite of what you want them to do.
As we mentioned earlier, a dog’s hearing is much more sensitive than ours, and another negative of this is that if you’re close to your dog when you make the noise, this could actually damage their hearing.
And lastly, If your dog is already scared of loud noises, then this method is definitely not for you.
How can you get your dog’s attention without using coins?
If you decide this method is not for you or your dog, there are other ways to get their attention.
- ▼Come in 2 pack button clickers with wrist strap in 2 different colors: Blue, Black
- ▼Can be used to train the dog basic obedience, small trick, and correct the bad behavior; Scientific method of training your pet safely and easily.
- ▼Stop barking and dog obdeience. Train your dog quiqly just by simply pressing the clicker and command.
- Well constructed and durable, metal clicker will not rust or break.
- Big button for easy clicking and loud sound. Easy to use in any position.
One is to use a clicker. A clicker is a small device that makes a clicking noise when you press it. You can find them in your local pet stores or online.
To use a clicker, you will need to train your dog to respond to the sound it makes. Once they learn that the sound means they get a treat, they will start associating the noise with something positive.
- 🐶 EASY ADJUSTABLE FREQUENCIES: Dogs respond to different frequencies. This dog training whistle to make dogs come to you. You can train your dog to listen to different commands in this way. These are professional dog training whistles and you can adjust frequency by simple turn of the screw rod inward or outward until your dog exhibits the strongest reaction. It is good for teaching your dog obedience and to learn basic skills.
- 🐶 RELIABLE & BENEFICIAL DESIGN: Our stainless-steel dog whistle to stop barking is made of high-quality material that is durable and fine. It can attract the attention of the dogs without damaging their hearing and without any health problem, making it safe for dog training.
- 🐶 PROFESSIONAL DOG TRAINING: You can easily train your dog by adjusting different ultrasonic frequencies, such as stop barking, sit, lie down, track, run, potty training and so on by maintaining the consistency of the whistle command. This silent dog whistle is a great tool for you to teach your dog obedience and to learn basic skills that you don't need to shout out loudly.
- 🐶 NO WORRY OF LOSING OF DOG: you can put this silent dog whistle to stop barking anywhere without worrying about losing it. Your dog can hear the high frequency dog whistle up to 200 meters away without seeing you, ensuring your dog does not lose. It's a dog whistle tracker that prevents your dog from getting lost.
- 🐶 IDEAL FOR EVERY FAMILY: Anyone who has a pet to keep their pets close at hand. This dog whistle to make dogs come to you will be very helpful to train them homey and develop their strong feeling towards you like a friend rather than master.
Another way is to use a whistle. You can buy whistles specifically designed for dogs at your local pet store or online.
Again, you will need to train your dog to respond to the sound of the whistle. Once they learn that the sound means they get a treat, they will start associating it with something positive. A whistle is particularly useful if you’re trying to train your dog from a distance.
Luring is a method where you use food to get your dog’s attention and get them to do what you want.
To lure your dog, hold a treat in your hand and show it to them. Then, move the treat around so that they follow it with their eyes. Once they’re focused on the treat, give them the command you want them to do, such as sit or come. If they do what you want, give them the treat.
Luring is a great way to train your dog and get their attention without using any noise at all.
The option is one we’ve personally used with Scooby (our dachshund); depending on your dog’s breed (some dogs love chasing things), these work wonders.
A flirt pole is basically a long rod with a toy or lure on the end of it. You wave it around, and your dog chases after it. When you wave this around and call your dog’s name, they’ll quickly associate the two and come running to you every time.
What is the best way to handle getting your dog’s attention?
There isn’t really any one “best” way to get your dog’s attention. It really depends on what works best for you and your dog.
If you’re unsure where to start, we recommend trying out a few different methods and seeing what works best for you. And remember, always make sure you’re using positive reinforcement so that your dog associates the attention-getting method with something positive.
Wrapping Things Up
So there you have it! Those are some of the pros and cons of shaking a can with coins to get your dog’s attention, and some other useful methods you can try instead.
Although shaking coins in a can isn’t necessarily bad for your dog, it’s not the best method to use and can actually cause more harm than good. There are plenty of other ways to get your dog’s attention, so we recommend trying out some of those instead.
Just remember anything can work as long as you are consistent, use positive reinforcement, and have patience! Training takes time, but it’ll be worth it in the end when you have a well-behaved dog.